Friday 20 January 2012

Welcome

It occurred to me just recently, that life is made up of little something’s. We have big events as well they are milestones in our lives, but it is the little something’s – the unexpected, that focus’ us or challenge us – me, to create,  to do something different, see things in a new light, give back or hold onto something dear, even let it go.
I originally wanted to write this for my sons No.1 and No.2. They mostly appreciate my cooking, and as they enjoyed a little something I would make just for them or a main meal they relished, they started to say “I want this recipe when I leave home”.
That little something, that small comment, has opened my eyes to see that my boys are growing into men and maybe sooner than we think they will be leaving. So this blog is for them, to come back to for a little something they enjoy until they start to create their own little something’s.
As we journey together I hope you will share the little something’s that have brought you joy and made you appreciate what you have and hold dear.
Metric vs Imperial
A friend of mine recently gave birth to her fourth child, ‘the last” she says. As I held her in my arms, so small, so petite, SO LIGHT! A mere 6lbs! I thought how strange it is the way we use metric for something’s and imperial measurements for others. It’s been 45 years since Australia changed from imperial to metric starting with our currency. For those of my vintage do you remember the jingle
In come the dollars and in come the cents
to replace the pounds and the shillings and the pence.
Be prepared folks when the coins begin to mix
on the 14th of February 1966.
Clink go the cents folks
clink, clink, clink. Changeover day is closer than you think.
Learn the value of the coins and the way that they appear
and things will be much smoother when the decimal point is here.
In come the dollars and in come the cents
to replace the pounds and the shillings and the pence.
Be prepared folks when the coins begin to mix
on the 14th of February 1966.

It is the relationship we have with the way we express the numbers that makes me smile. Even the new younger mums use imperial for weight and metric for length. 6lbs sounds bigger than 3kgs, and 56cm sounds longer 22inches. Is the bigger the number the better, well up it is up to a point.
As our children grow bigger and are able to stand against the growth chart to be measured, we mark them off in centimetres. But as they start to get taller than us we revert back to feet and inches for comparison. I can relate to 5’6” not 165cm and now they are 193cm. So what’s that in feet and inches?
And ladies aren’t we happier to have lost 2.2lbs than 1 kg.
I must say baking is much easier in metric and sounds like less calories too.

No comments:

Post a Comment